Need to get in touch? Please click here and use the online form.

To improve loading times only the last 20 posts are displayed on the homepage.
Please use the monthly archive links in the right menu to view all posts made each month.
 

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Empire Fowey Postcard

This is an interesting post card which shows the vessel Empire Fowey with a cross marked on the photo over the location of a specific cabin.


(Click on the photo to enlarge. High resolution versions are available)

Written on the back of the post card is "The cross marks my cabin". This post card was found with many of the photographs shown in earlier posts. I do not know if my father travelled on this ship or if this is his hand writing.


(Click on the photo to enlarge. High resolution versions are available)

Empire Fowey Reference Material
Ships of the Hadj
Specifications
Built 1936 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg
19047 GRT
History
This ship was built as the "Potsdam" for the far east service of North German Lloyd. During the Second World War, she was used as a troop and accommodation ship. She was seized by the British occupying forces in May 1945 at Flensburg. Re-named the "Empire Fowey", she was re-fitted by Harland & Wolff, Belfast and used as a troopship under P & O management. In 1960, she was sold to the Pan-Islamic Shipping Co of Karachi, Pakistan, for use on the pilgrim service to Jeddah and was renamed "Safina-E-Hujjat". She was broken up at Gadani Beach in 1976.

UPDATE (8/3/2005): Bernard phoned on Monday evening after seeing this photograph of the Empire Fowey. Apparently he and other members of the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars sailed to Korea on this ship in the early 1950's. The soldiers returned on the vessel Windrush. It's quite possible that a friend of my fathers went to Korea on this ship and posted back the card to show dad where his cabin was. The post card is not addressed so it may have been included with a letter.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it was the 'Empire Windrush' (Not 'Windrush') which in 1951 caught fire and sank. There was no loss of life even though she had a full capacity of troops and crew. Other 'Empire' ships were 'Empire Ken' and 'Empire Orwell'.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an excellent picture of the Empire Fowey in Hong Kong harbour, taken by myself from the Star Ferry in either 1958 or 1959. I sailed back on her in August, 1959, probably her last voyage under the British flag.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've just found your website and would be interested if anyone knew my great uncle Harry Grubb, who sailed on this ship from Singapore during the 2nd world war.

Rem.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 12:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I travelled on theEmpire Fowey from Singapore to Southampton, I think it was late 1958. I was a child at the time and recall that a form of school operated for us somewhere on the ship. Would be pleased to hear from any who may have travelled at the same time.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:43:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I travelled on the troopship Empire Fowey in 1958.I was in the Royal Signals and boarded the ship in Cyprus returning to Southampton.During the voyage,we experienced very high seas in the Bay of Biscay and the wave heights were estimated to be 30 feet plus! We sprang a serious leak in the hull which affected the steering.This made us a day late.

Friday, June 06, 2008 3:14:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am trying to trace if anyone knew my Grand-Uncle, Abbas Ali, who served on the Empire Fowey, I believe in the early 1950s but not sure exactly when. I wonder if anyone has any experience of him. He and his brother, Zaman Ali, both worked as merchant seamen, and they were involved in the Battle of the Atlantic - indeed, their ship was torpedoed by a German U-boat, and these two gents survived the attack, along with around 10-12 others. They were rescued by the allies and they all got bravery medals - I want to find out what they received for their bravery. I need to work backwards from the Empire Fowey, as speaking with a 100-yr old survivor from that era he confirms my Grand-Uncle Abbas Ali served on the Empire Fowey in the early 1950s. This is as much as I can determine. Would be glad for any leads of any kind. Many thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 3:49:00 pm  
Anonymous John martin said...

Hi, I also travelled on the Empire Fowey arriving Southampton 15 March 1959. I was only eight years old then.
Reading all the other comments has jogged my memory. On the journey home I can remember stopping of at Ceylon, and all the small boats selling their merchandise.
Because of a faulty rudder we ran aground on a sand bank in the Suez Canal and we where stuck for 3 days.
I can also recall stopping of at Cyprus to pick up troops. My Dad was also in the Royal Signals.
I think the place were we lived in Singapore was called Serangoon. The only thing I can remember of the school was the playground over looked a cemetery.

I have a copy of the complete list of all families who sailed on the ship to Southampton arriving on the 15 March 1959 if anyone would like a copy please email me your name. The list consists of 6 pages, having your name assures I send you the appropriate page.

Contact
John
john.omagh@virgin.net
If you email your name

Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Return to Home Page